The North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda & Homoeopathy (NEIAH), Shillong, Meghalaya is an autonomous institute newly established under the Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India. The Institute is developed adjacent to the North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS) at Mawdiangdiang, Shillong, Meghalaya. The construction of Hospital, College, Library & Administrative buildings under Phase –I of the project has been completed.
The Union Cabinet in its meeting held on 27th March, 2008 accorded approval to establish North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda & Homoeopathy at Shillong to provide health care to the people of NE Region and Sikkim under Ayurveda and Homoeopathy systems of medicine; moreover, to promote and popularize the Ayurveda and Homoeopathy and to create awareness among the general masses regarding the importance, effectiveness and potentials of Ayurveda and Homoeopathy.
The institute is to have Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic colleges with the admission capacity of 50 students each along with a 100 bed Ayurvedic hospital and a 50 bed Homoeopathic hospital, Documentation-cum-R&D Centre and Pharmacy with Drug Testing Laboratory. The institute will be a unique institution which will be independent and collocated beside NEIGRIHMS with multi-speciality where education and health care facilities through Ayurveda & Homoeopathy will provided under one platform, moreover, it will be designed to facilitate the promotion of Ayurveda and Homoeopathy, the expansion of health care facilities, improvement in the doctor-population ratio and R&D on bio-resources in the North East.
The main aims and objectives of NEIAH, Shillong
- To provide under graduate, post graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral teaching, research facilities and quality patient care services under the Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic systems of medicine;
- To conduct experiment and develop patterns of teaching in under graduate and post graduate education in all branches of the Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic systems of medicine;
- To conduct research on various aspects of Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic systems of medicine;
- To provide medical care through Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic systems of medicine to the suffering humanity;
- To conduct refresher courses for Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic systems of medicine;
- To develop, promote and propagate the science and art of Ayurveda and Homoeopathy as the case may be;
On 1st June 2015 Institute started OPD (Ayurvedic & Homoeopathic) at our permanent campus i.e. at Mawdiangdiang, Shillong (Near NEIHRIHMS, Police Out Post) and shortly we are going to start both the multi facilities (IPD) Hospitals (Ayurvedic & Homoeopathic) with all diagnostic & laboratory facilities.
The Institute is also running an OPD city centre in a rented building of Meghalaya State Housing Financing Co-operative Society Ltd. at Nongrim Hills, Shillong-3, since 4th November’2010 to render and facilitate health care services to the general masses of Shillong and adjacent areas with Ayurvedic and Homeopathic mode of treatment.
We distribute free medicines to the patients as per availability of medicines in the stock.
- Every effort are being made to start the colleges from the academic session 2016-17 accordingly proposals have been sent to respective Councils i.e. CCIM and CCH for permission to start the college and North Eastern Hills University – Central University (NEHU), Shillong for affiliation for the courses.
- Institute is in touch with NEHU. Expert committee appointed by University conducted preliminary inspection on 15.10.2014 and granted in principle permission to start the Colleges. And we have requested Ministry of AYUSH for grant for permission the start colleges, permission awaited.
DPR for Phase II has been submitted by the HSCC and the matter is under consideration for Ministry of AYUSH. Phase II is proposed to include following facilities –
- Boys & Girls hostels
- Doctors hostel
- Family Quarters
- Post Graduate (PG) Teaching Block
- Nursing College & Pharmacy College, Yoga Course
- Drugs Testing Laboratory
- Medicine Manufacturing Unit
- Guest House, Cafeteria, Shopping Complex, Stadium, Auditorium etc.
Other facilities at NEIAH, MAWDIANGDIANG, SHILLONG
- Panchakarma (Penta Bio-purification)Therapy – Ayurveda
- Mini Clinical Laboratory
- First Aid Clinic/ Casualty
- Mother & Child Care Clinic – Homoeopathy
- Diet counseling by Dietician