The North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda & Homoeopathy (NEIAH), Shillong, Meghalaya is an autonomous institute newly established under the Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India. The Institute is developed adjacent to the North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS) at Mawdiangdiang, Shillong, Meghalaya.
The Union Cabinet in its meeting held on 27th March, 2008 accorded approval to establish North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda & Homoeopathy at Shillong to provide health care to the people of NE Region and Sikkim under Ayurveda and Homoeopathy systems of medicine; moreover, to promote and popularize Ayurveda and Homoeopathy and to create awareness among the general masses regarding the importance, effectiveness and potentials of Ayurveda and Homoeopathy, the expansion of health care facilities, improvement in the doctor-population ratio and R&D on bio-resources in the North East region
The institute has been formally inagurated by Sh. Shripad Yesso Naik, Hon,ble Minister of State (IC), Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India on 22nd December,2016 in august presence Smt. R. Warjiri, Hon,ble Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of Meghalaya, Local MP, Local MLA, Govt. of India officials, Govt. of Meghalaya officials, Students/ Staffs/ Faculty members & Director NEIAH, public, regional & national media.
The institute has started a Ayurvedic and a Homoeopathic college with the admission capacity of 50 students each (BAMS and BHMS Courses) from the session 2016 - 17 along with a full fledged 100 bed Ayurvedic hospital and a 50 bed Homoeopathic hospital. Further, since the academic year 2019-20, the total intake of Ayurveda College and Homoeopathy College has been increased to 63 student for both BAMS & BHMS courses.
Affiliation of the courses offered by the Institution
Both the undergraduate courses i.e. BAMS & BHMS offered by the institution are affiliated to the NORTH EASTERN HILL UNIVERSITY(NEHU) which is a Central University.
Important links about university:
LIST OF AFFILIATED COLLEGES ( NEIAH at Sl. No 64)
The main aims and objectives of NEIAH, Shillong
- To provide under graduate, post graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral teaching, research facilities and quality patient care services under the Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic systems of medicine;
- To conduct experiment and develop patterns of teaching in under graduate and post graduate education in all branches of the Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic systems of medicine;
- To conduct research on various aspects of Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic systems of medicine;
- To provide medical care through Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic systems of medicine to the suffering humanity;
- To conduct refresher courses for Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic systems of medicine;
- To develop, promote and propagate the science and art of Ayurveda and Homoeopathy as the case may be.
The institute conducts the 5 and 1/2 years Degree Courses in Ayurveda and Homoeopathy viz. Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS) & Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS) respectively. The courses are full-time regular basis as per the regulation of respective councils (i.e. CCIM & CCH respectively), approved by Govt. of India and Govt. of Meghalaya. Both the courses are affiliated to The North Eastern Hill University (NEHU), Shillong - a Central University.
Other facilities at NEIAH, MAWDIANGDIANG, SHILLONG
- OPD (Ayurveda, Homoeopathy, Yoga, Dentistry) & 24 x 7 IPD facility
- Panchakarma (Penta Bio-purification)Therapy – Ayurveda
- Diagnostic Laboratory
- First Aid Clinic/ Casualty
- Mother & Child Care Clinic – Homoeopathy
- Diet counseling by Dietician
Phase II is under progress and includes the following facilities –
- Director's Bunglow
- Boys & Girls hostels
- Doctors hostel
- Staff Quarters
- Guest House, Cafeteria, Shopping Complex etc.